Germany - Offenbach
30 YEARS CULTURAL ROUTE PROGRAM BY THE COUNCIL OF EUROPE
Offenbach a. Main as the crossroads of two Cultural Routes of the Council of Europe
Legend: copy right Haus der Stadtgeschichte Offenbach
The Cultural Routes Program, launched in 1987 by the Council of Europe, describes paths through several countries or regions dealing with themes that are European because of their historical, artistic and social interest, whether by geographical reasons, or the content and the meaning.
Main objective of the program is to raise awareness of a common European culture. The Pilgrimage Route to Santiago de Compostela was inaugurated as the first European cultural route. 33 certified routes are now part of the program.
The EUROPEAN MOZART WAYS and the HUGENOTTEN- AND WALDENSER PATH are also certified Cultural Routes and represent equally the common European Cultural Heritage. Both Routes have a very special relationship to the City of Offenbach, because here the two Cultural Routes cross. In addition they have a close historical link to the music publishing house Johann André:
The Huguenot family André fled in 1687 for reasons of faith from southern France to Offenbach. In 1774, Johann André founded one of the first music publishing houses in the German-speaking world. His son purchased the artistic legacy of the composer Wolfgang Amadé Mozart from his widow Constanze in Vienna in 1799 and preserved this musical treasure in the city for more than 50 years. As a result, numerous Mozart works were published in the first edition, including "Eine kleine Nachtmusik".
The address of the City of Offenbach is given by Stephan Färber, city councilor. Subsequently Dr. Renate Buchenauer and Birgit Grün will shortly introduce the Hugenotten- and Waldenser path and the European Mozart Ways. A guided tour through the "Kulturkarree" to the Haus der Stadtgeschichte is followed by a presentation of the D'Orvillesch doll house. The celebration ceremony ends there with a drink and a concert with compositions by W. A. Mozart and J. André performed by Carola Schlüter (soprano) and Olaf Joksch (piano).