Germany | Kirchheimbolanden
MOZART'S STAY IN KIRCHHEIMBOLANDEN
23. - 29.1.1778
In his letter of February 4, 1778, Mozart wrote about his experiences in Kirchheimbolanden, mentioning that he performed music in the palace twelve times in all and that he played once in St. Paul's Church on the famous 1745 Stumm organ. Since 1943 it has officially been called the "Mozart Organ", a fact which saved it from being destroyed during the war.
Since 1994 the Palace, once again in its original U-shape, has served as a retirement home. Two original baroque wrought-iron gates have both been restored and erected in their original places. In his letter Mozart talks about attending services at the Catholic Church, known as "Our Lady's Church".
The town projects the image of a typical small German town and prides itself on its historical town centre with its turreted city wall and its nearby recreation area, Schillerhain with 730 ha of municipal forest. The Palatinate Forest (Pfälzerwald) extends to the southwest, and the Donnersberg, the highest mountain of the Palatinate, is only 10 km from Kirchheimbolanden.
First mentioned in the year 774, the town rights in 1368, the Princes of Nassau-Weilburg made it their residence, original baroque organ made by Stumm, the "Mozart Organ".
Contact & Information