HomePlacesStadt SalzburgPlaces of Interest

Stadt Salzburg

Austria | Salzburg
Places of Interest
Collegiate Church
Mozart composed his D Minor Mass, K. 65 (61a) for the official opening of the 40-hour period of prayer in the Collegiate Church (also known as the University Church) on 5 February 1769.
The church is regarded as a masterwork of Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach. It was consecrated as the Church of Our Dear Lady. The extended cruciform church with dome, directly adjoining the old university building and Furtwänglerpark,, was built between 1696-1707. The north-facing ornamental front façade achieves its effect through the many finely wrought details. The belfries of the towers are free standing. Four tapering statues rest on the coping which is bordered by balustrades. The porch is separated from the nave by three round-arched arcades. Delicate decorative features surround the large windows, and the coat of arms of Archbishop Johann Ernst Thun is set in the closing gable area.
Above this rise figures of angels and the Immaculate Virgin, framed by statues of the four evangelists on the left tower and of the four Church Fathers on the right, by Michael Bernhard Mandl. The choir originally housed a high stone tabernacle instead of a high altar.
The existing altar dates back to 1735. The figures around the tabernacle, depicting the various aspects of the human spirit, are surmounted by throned allegorical figures representing Faith. Above the angels is a stucco aureole of clouds, rays and putti encircling the floating Immaculate Virgin. This design by Fischer von Erlach was executed by Diego Francesco Carlone and Paolo d'Allio. The high altar is the work of Josef Anton Pfaffinger. By the time of Mozart Year 2006, the Collegiate Church will have undergone comprehensive renovation. The church is open at all times.
Last home of Nannerl Mozart
Sigmund Haffnergasse 12
Mozart´s sister moved here after the death of her husband in St. Gilgen and lived there until her death on 19 October 1829.
Lodron Primogeniture Palace
Mirabellplatz 1
In 1631, Archbishop Paris Lodron built a Baroque palace for his relatives at Dreifaltigkeitsgasse 15-19.
The Lodron Primogeniture Palace (Mirabellplatz 1) today houses the Mozarteum University for Music and Performing Arts. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart often visited his friends and patrons, the family of Archmarshal Count Lodron, there, and he also enjoyed playing music with his friends at the palace.
In 1776 and 1778, he wrote two serenades, K. 247 and K. 287, for Maria Antonia (1738-1780), the wife of Archmarshal Ernst Maria Johann Nepomuk, Count Lodron (1716-1779), and he dedicated the Concerto for Three Pianos, K. 242 to her and her daughters Maria Aloysia (b. 1761) and Maria Josepha (b. 1764).
The palace was severely damaged by fire in the 18th Century.
In 1972, the entire building apart from the façade was demolished and reconstructed, and at the same time, a large part of the Karl Borromeus Church was pulled down.
Today, the Lodron Primogeniture Palace is used by the Mozarteum University, but the Lodron coat of arms can still be seen at the main entrance.
Mirabell castle and gardens
Venue of Mozart´s "Cassation" K.62 and K.100.
Mozart Memorial
In 1835, Sigmund von Koflern, a native of Salzburg, and the Poznan-born writer Julius Schilling proposed the erection of a Mozart memorial in Salzburg (Mozartplatz). Following an appeal to which many local citizens contributed, the commission for the memorial was awarded to the Munich sculptor Ludwig von Schwanthaler and the royal caster Johann Stiglmaier.
The official unveiling took place on 4 September 1842 on Michaelerplatz (now Mozartplatz) in the presence of Mozart's two sons - Constanze Nissen, formerly Mozart, had died in Salzburg on 6 March of that year. In honour of his father, Franz Xaver Mozart, also referred to as Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart jun., conducted one of his own compositions, his Festival Cantata, which is based on motives of his father's works. In 1997, Salzburg's city centre was added to UNESCO's list of World Cultural Heritage sites.
An inscription set into the ground at the foot of the Mozart Memorial commemorates the date of the city's naming as a World Cultural Heritage site in 1997.
Results 1 - 5 of 20 Next 5
Contact & Information
Tourismus Salzburg GmbH
Auerspergstrasse 6
5020 Salzburg
Tel: 88 9 87 - 0
Fax: 88 9 87 - 32
E-mail: tourist@salzburg.info

Mozarts Journeys

  • 1st Journey: Salzburg to Munich
    1762 - 1762 Map
  • 1st Journey to Vienna
    1762 - 1763 Map
  • 3rd Journey: Paris to London
    1763 - 1766 Map
  • 2nd Journey to Vienna
    1767 - 1769 Map
  • 1st Journey to Italy
    1769 - 1771 Map
  • 2nd Journey to Italy
    1771 - 1771 Map
  • 3rd Journey to Italy
    1772 - 1773 Map
  • 3rd Journey to Vienna
    1773 - 1773 Map
  • 2nd Journey to Munich
    1774 - 1775 Map
  • Journey to Paris
    1777 - 1779 Map
  • Journey from Munich to Vienna
    1780 - 1781 Map
  • Journey to Salzburg
    1783 - 1783 Map

Mozart events

  • generally
  • Salzburg Easter Festival
  • Salzburg Whitsun Festival
  • Salzburg Festival