HomePlacesStadt SalzburgPlaces of Interest
 

Stadt Salzburg

Austria | Salzburg
Places of Interest
Mozart's Birthplace
Getreidegasse 9
Leopold Mozart and his family lived in the so-called Hagenauer Haus from 1747 to 1773, and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was born there on 27 January 1756. The Mozart family's apartment has been a museum since 1880. Famous exhibits include the violin Mozart used as a child, his concert violin, his clavichord, his fortepiano, portraits and letters of the Mozart family. In addition to autographs (facsimiles), the historic rooms house an exhibition of documents and memorabilia, the original portraits of family members, such as the uncompleted oil painting by his brother-in-law Joseph Lange dated 1789, entitled Mozart at the Piano and the historical instruments (Mozart's concert piano and clavichord, and his child's and concert violins, and viola).
The Mozart apartment was carefully restored in keeping with state-of-the-art museum technology, in order to protect the exhibits from possible damage. With the help of private creditors, the rear part of the house facing Universitätsplatz was redecorated as a "typical Salzburg commoner's apartment of Mozart's day."
The second floor is dedicated to the theme of Mozart and the theatre. Numerous dioramas (miniature stage sets) illustrate the history of the reception of Mozart's operas. Model stage sets from the late 18th through to the 20th century provide a picture of the many different interpretations of Mozart's works.
Since 1981, the International Mozarteum Foundation has mounted annual changing exhibitions on the composer on the first floor.

Information:
Mozart's Birthplace
Getreidegasse 9
Tel: +43-662-844313
Fax: +43-662-840693
archiv@mozarteum.at
 
 
Mozart's Residence
Makartplatz 8
The Mozart Residence, also known as the Tanzmeisterhaus, was first mentioned in official documents in 1617. It was so called because a decree of 1711 permitted dances there.
In 1773, the Mozarts moved into this residence on the then Hannibalplatz (now Makartplatz 8) as the apartment on the third floor of Getreidegasse 9 (Mozart's birthplace) had become too small as the family grew. The roomy apartment offered sufficient space for gatherings of friends and musicians.
The librettist of the Magic Flute, Emanuel Schikaneder (1751-1812) was a frequent guest. In this house, Wolfgang wrote numerous symphonies, divertimenti, serenades, piano and violin concertos, a bassoon concerto, arias, masses and other sacred works between 1773-1780. It was here that he composed Il Re Pastore, K 208, and began La Finta Giardiniera K 196 and Idomeneo, K 366.
Leopold Mozart lived alone in the house after Wolfgang and Nannerl Mozart moved to Vienna and St.Gilgen, respectively. After his death on 28 May 1787, the house changed hands several times. The International Mozarteum Foundation finally acquired the building, and it was responsible for the rebuilding of the war-damaged part of the building according to original plans. The reconstructed Mozart residence was reopened on 26 January 1996. Today the rooms on the first floor house serve as a museum which documents the history of the house and the life of the Mozart family, focusing on the life and work of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. An infra-red guide system in six languages, with extracts from Mozart's works as a background, accompanies the visitor through the museum. The museum pay particular attention to the journeys of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (shown on a wall map) and to his sister Maria Anna ("Nannerl"). An "atmosphere room" shows how domestic interiors looked at the time. The exhibition is rounded off with a videowall production on Mozart and Salzburg, also in six languages.

Information:
Mozart's Residence
Makartplatz 8
Tel: +43-662-874227
Fax: +43-662-872924
archiv@mozarteum.at
 
 
Mozarteum
Schwarzstrasse 26 and 28
Following the break-up of the Dom-Musik-Verein und Mozarteum ("Cathedral Music Society and Mozarteum"), which had been founded in 1841, the International Mozarteum Foundation was established on 20 September 1880. Its objective is the care and promotion of the musical arts and the promotion of Mozart's genius.
In 1909, the International Mozarteum Foundation launched an architecture competition for the construction of a Mozart house which was won by the Munich architect Richard Berndl (1875-1955).
The Mozart House, commonly known as the Mozarteum, was built according to his Munich Jugendstil (art nouveau) design between 1910-1914. The Mozarteum in Schwarzstrasse houses classrooms and offices, a library, two concert halls and the Central Institute for Mozart Research. Besides the concert halls, the outstanding showpiece are the Jugendstil library on the first floor, which includes music and manuscripts of the Mozart family, first and early prints and the Bibliotheca Mozartiana with approx.
35,000 volumes.
Most of the International Mozarteum Foundation's concerts and the Mozart matinees at the Salzburg Festival are held in the main hall which seats 800 (Schwarzstrasse 28).
 
 
Old Aula Theater of the old University
Furtwänglerpark
At the age of five, Mozart appeared as a dancer in a school play, Sigismundus Hungariae Rex, in the Great Hall (theatre) of the Old University (today the Theological Faculty, Hofstallgasse). His Latin school comedy, Apollo et Hyacinthus, K 38 was performed there on 13 May 1767.
The Great Hall of Salzburg University is currently undergoing comprehensive renovation, including a realignment and the construction of a new glazed foyer. The historical church, concert hall and theatre are being opened towards the festival district, while the entrance area substantially is being enhanced and separated from the Theological Faculty and the university library. The renovation plans were developed by the Salzburg architect Fonatsch. The renovation work was largely made possible by a sponsorship agreement signed in 2001 with Donald Kahn and his wife, Jeanne. In Mozart Year 2006, the auditorium will be reopened with a performance of the opera Apollo and Hyacinth. This was the first opera to be composed by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, then aged 11, and it also had its first rendition in the auditorium in 1767.
The Great Hall may only be viewed during events or performances.
 
 
Pilgrimage Church of Maria Plain
Plainbergweg
Contrary to what is stated in some older Mozart literature, Mozart did not compose the Coronation Mass, K. 317 for the pilgrimage church of Maria Plain, where the Mozart family often had masses read, but rather the Mass in F Major, K. 192.
The church, located on the Plainberg, is the city's traditional place of pilgrimage. Not only is the place of historical and cultural interest; but there is also a wonderful view of Salzburg from the hill. The legend behind this place of pilgrimage centres on a picture of Mary and the infant Jesus with miraculous powers which now decorates the high altar. This was wondrously preserved from the flames during a fire in the town of Regen, Lower Bavaria during the Thirty Years War.
After the picture was brought to Salzburg in 1652, Archbishop Guidobald Thun ordered the building of a chapel in which to house it. From 1671-1674, Archbishop Max Gandolf had a church built beside this wooden chapel under the supervision of the architect Giovanni Antonio Dario. The twin-towered façade is decorated by four semi-circular enclosed niches with statues of the evangelists. Over the entrance is a high relief of the Virgin Mary and the infant Jesus. Almost all the furnishings and fittings of the singlenave structure date from when it was built. The nave is flanked by two pairs of side chapels. The curved triumphal arch is followed by a chancel with a three-sided apse. The chancel and the side chapels are cross-vaulted and decorated with stucco-framed mirrors. The high altar dates from 1674.
The altar picture of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin by Frans de Neve is surrounded by the figures of Saints Vitalis and Maximilian, and by an altarpiece with the figures of Saints Rupert and Virgil by Jakob Gerold. In front of the altarpiece is the miraculous picture of Maria Plain. The coronation and decoration of the picture with a silvery rocaille garland took place on 4 July 1751, the fifth Sunday after Whitsun. Since then, the coronation festival of Mary has been celebrated every year in Maria Plain. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart composed the aforementioned mass on the occasion of the 28th coronation festival. The church is open at day times.

Information:
Superiorate Maria Plain
Plainbergweg 38, 5101 Bergheim
Tel: +43-662-450194
Fax: +43-662-450195 direct dial 12
mariaplain@bergheim.at
 
 
Previous Results 6 - 10 of 20 Next 5
Contact & Information
Tourismus Salzburg GmbH
Auerspergstrasse 6
5020 Salzburg
AUSTRIA
Tel: 88 9 87 - 0
Fax: 88 9 87 - 32
http://www.salzburg.info
E-mail: tourist@salzburg.info
 

Mozarts Journeys

  • 1st Journey: Salzburg to Munich
    1762 - 1762 Map
  • 1st Journey to Vienna
    1762 - 1763 Map
  • 3rd Journey: Paris to London
    1763 - 1766 Map
  • 2nd Journey to Vienna
    1767 - 1769 Map
  • 1st Journey to Italy
    1769 - 1771 Map
  • 2nd Journey to Italy
    1771 - 1771 Map
  • 3rd Journey to Italy
    1772 - 1773 Map
  • 3rd Journey to Vienna
    1773 - 1773 Map
  • 2nd Journey to Munich
    1774 - 1775 Map
  • Journey to Paris
    1777 - 1779 Map
  • Journey from Munich to Vienna
    1780 - 1781 Map
  • Journey to Salzburg
    1783 - 1783 Map

Mozart events

  • generally
    Events
  • Salzburg Easter Festival
    Festival
  • Salzburg Whitsun Festival
    Festival
  • Salzburg Festival
    Festival